BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Come and See What the Lord Has Done - Cancer Update #1 (Originally Posted on January 12, 2010)

Dear Friends and Family,

First, let me thank you for all of your prayers. They are working! I finally got home around 5:00pm today and after being at the hospital for 32 hours, I was ready to come home! The surgery was a success and there were no serious complications. Dr. Arnold, my fabulous surgeon, just went through the first incision he made three weeks ago to remove the rest of my thyroid. He did have to make a second incision because the skin above the first incision had begun to graft to the muscles in my throat. I am still not sure how that happened, but it is corrected now and should heal completely!

The first 12 hours after the surgery were the worst. Again, like my first surgery, we had a hard time getting the pain under control, and the anethesia caused me to be really nauseated for hours. Eventually, after the anesthesia wore off, I felt much better. I have been able to keep down clear fluids and some soft foods down, which is a huge praise! I am on a soft food diet for a day or two, and the nurses said to take it easy on the foods, to gradually move from soft foods to thicker and firmer foods.

Next steps? First, the rest of my thyroid will be taken apart by a pathology team to check for cancer. Dr. Arnold is confident that they won't find any, but he just wants to make sure. After my body settles down a bit, I will have a full body scan to make sure none of the cancer has spread. After that, I may possibly have to have radioactive treatment, but that is uncertain as of yet. Keep praying for a quick recovery. The pain isn't unbearable, but it is uncomfortable at times, so please pray that God would soothe my body.

This morning, while I was laying in my oh-so-comfy hospital bed (wink wink), I was reading in Psalms. God never ceases to amaze me. These past few days have definitely been hard, but the entire time, I felt His presence. I've asked Him to protect me from having a "pity party" attitude and to help me be strong. I've also asked Him to help me not push myself too hard. Which is a big request, if you know me. :-)

Psalm 46 really jumped out at me. I took the liberty to personalize it, so take note of that before you read it. :-) It encouraged me so much!

1God is MY refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble!
2Therefore I will NOT FEAR, though the earth should change
And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;
3Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah.
4There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
The holy dwelling places of the Most High.
5God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
6The nations made an uproar, the kingdoms tottered;
He raised His voice, the earth melted.
7The LORD of hosts is with me;
The God of Jacob is my stronghold. Selah.
8Come, behold the works of the LORD,
Who has wrought desolations in the earth.
9He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth;
He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two;
He burns the chariots with fire.
10"Sarah, cease striving and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
11The LORD of hosts is with me;
The God of Jacob is my stronghold. Selah.

I invite you to come and see what the Lord has done in my life. His love is everlasting and His faithfulness endures. I am nothing and He is Everything.

God, please help me to never, ever forget what You have done.

0 comments: